It may be to do with whether a person has children themselves though not necessarily. Women whose maternal instincts are beginning to or have already kicked in but may not have kids may also think babies are really cute.

I don't know if there is a scientific reason for this though!

I'm not a dentist and am not really answering this in the capacity of a biologist!

I have the same problem and my dentist told me it was because I wasn't brushing my teeth properly and so there was a build up of plaque between the teeth and the gums where the teeth and embedded in them. This weakens the gums (or makes them recede and hence blood capillaries are closer to the surface-a guess but it sounds plausible) and causes the bleeding.

I agree with Dave-it may be better for you to do a first
degree in zoology as opposed to biotechnology. However Manabu has first-hand experience
in being able to make career moves outside of biotech having done that as a first
degree.

Unfortunately there is very little money in science and
research in India and most of it is in pharmaceutical/medical research. This is
in part due to the rather unfortunate belief of people that any other kind of
research is pointless.

On the brighter side, a good amount of money is now coming
in from international charities like the WWF but these tend to be on a project
specific basis.  

I believe Sri Lanka has quite a big turtle conservation
programme.

As Dave suggested it’s a great idea to develop a good
background as an interested amateur. Volunteering at your local zoo/national
park is a good way to do this. They may well be attached to an educational institute
through which you may be able to gain qualifications and get information and
advice.

There are loads of different areas of biology that you can study. 

Have a read of this article in the 'From the lab' section of our website and maybe come back with more specific questions about particular areas of biology:

http://www.askabiologist.org.uk/from_the_lab/research-fields-biology

This is due to a combination of psychology (for which this is the wrong forum!) and the fight or flight response which is explained here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fight-or-flight_response

Yes I believe they do.

I think the way an ant colony functions is quite fascinating so if you have more/specific questions about it then please do ask.

I think genetic modification and genetic engineering are interchangeable terms.

Yes it works the same both indoors and outdoors.

I think the short answer is that it depends on how 'clean' the desk is.

I can't comment on the percentage of an average desk bacteria cover. 

And yes bacteria can colonise surfaces at low numbers and low densities. The best example is our skin which carries loads of bacteria on its surface, none of which is visible to the naked eye.

A combination of all of the things you mentioned. If it's dry then some of it may end up in the atmosphere having just floated away.

I believe most of it is consumed and recycled by other bacteria/some insects.

I spent most of last year applying to graduate schools, some of which were in the States, and this was my experience:

I would have been an international student in the States and hence funding for me was limited. I was out competed by people who had masters degrees and/or lots more research experience.

You definitely want to take the GRE subject test to add more to your application.

'Fit' is a really important selling point on your application. I would definitely try and get in touch with potential supervisors before submitting your application. They may have some say in who gets offers or invited to interview. 

Don't worry about having a nail-biting opener-just be honest. Yes you do want to make it interesting and make people want to read it but it's an admissions essay, not a piece of creative writing.

A great resource for people wanting to go to Grad School in the US:
http://forum.thegradcafe.com/

The mouth and parts of the airway also have commensal bacteria living in them.

Hello,

I think it's great that you're thinking about the kinds of things you want to do nice and early.

I'm a human biologist myself and not a plant person but I can tell you that botanists do a lot of interesting and useful things.

For example, plant scientists are employed by organisations doing agricultural research-things like crop diseases, yields, growth conditions; environmental research-forestry, climate change and how it's affecting various plant species; the food and beverage industry-health and safety testing of products; basic science research-plants are useful models for various genetics and developmental research, they're also a great source of natural products that have medical value or can be developed into drugs.