Since about the age of 3 all that I have wanted to do is paleontology, I was fascinated with dinosuars and jurrassic park, then my intrest broadened to fossils and prehistoric geology etc... At the age of 3 I could I could rattle of hundreds of names of dinosaurs and just general facts about paleontology and the likes. When I came to High School I discovered that I excelled at Geography, History, English and all the sciences, particuarlly Biology and Chemistry. However I slowly began to discover that maths was not my strong point. In the second year when the maths classes where streamed I was put into the top class but I still feel that I struggle with this subject , that I am at the bottom of the class and that I lagg behind. To be honest I think it is just a confidence issue but this has lead to discouragement and me having no interest or talent within the subject at all, I have grasped the basics and is some areas I do well but it takes me ages to catch on with new blocks. I know that a course in paleontology requires a lot of maths and science and I worry that I will not be able to achieve this recquirement. Vertabrate Paleontology is what I want to do with my life. But without this subject will I be able to for fill my dream? If I got straight As in all the other subjects and mabye a B , as long as I dont fail maths Higher will it matter?????

Prehistoric studies and paleontolgy is my passion , there must be a way??

You can be a palaeontologist without maths, see here:

http://www.askabiologist.org.uk/answers … hp?id=7803

and also here:

http://www.askabiologist.org.uk/answers … hp?id=8144

It is very useful though, both in terms of getting accepted onto a degree, and for use in the science itself, so if you can get to terms with maths, it would be a help.

Last edited by Peter Falkingham (28th Apr 2014 10:39:56)

> To be honest I think it is just a confidence issue but this has lead to discouragement and me having no interest or talent within the subject at all

hi Molly,

Your comment above reveals a very common problem. People lose confidence and become convinced they "can't do maths" and it becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy. I'd encourage you to keep perservering - everyone learns in their own way and at their own speed, so don't get discouraged if others seem to progress faster. I actually work in a very mathematical area of biology and many of my colleagues claim to have been terrible at maths when they were at school! What they all have in common is a stubborness that meant they kept plugging away ti improve their skills without worrying too much about whether someone else was "better". Easier to say than do I know but good luck!