I have a number of questions concerning ammonites, some of which I am not sure are answerable. I am mostly interested in whether they were more nautiloid-like or coleoid-like in their characteristics.
• How many arms did they have?
• Did their arms have suckers? Or could they have had hooks like belemnite arms?
• Might they have had extendable feeding tentacles like squid and cuttlefish?
• What did ammonites eat, anyway? (Particularly the pelagic varieties.)
• Did their eyes more likely have the "pinhole camera" design of a nautilus's or the complex structure of a squid's?
• Did they all have a nacreous shell coating in life?
• Were their siphons flap-like (nautiloids) or tube-like (coleoids)?
• What were their lifespans? Did they live long enough to breed year after year, or did they just live a couple years, then breed once and die?
• Could they change color? (I know this is probably the least answerable question of all.)
I apologize for the long list. Take your time responding if you need to.