Dear Sirs,

I write to you regarding an insect that I came across on a Peruvian trail while hiking. I have been trying to find out what kind of insect it is with not much luck, though. You perhaps would be able to name it.

I attached two photos for your reference.

The length of the insect is about 4 – 4.5 cm and the width is about 0.8 – 1 cm. It was found at about 3000 m altitude near the town of Ollantaytambo.

Many thanks!

Best regards,
Gabor

Post's pictures

insect photos.pdf 

I'm in the UK, so I have no idea! However, I would suggest it is probably the larva of a beetle (possibly a South American Carbid??), as in the UK some beetle larvae (Carabids in particular) are mobile hunters.

It could, however, be the adult form of a beetle that looks like a larvae (so here, the female glow-worm (a beetle), for instance, looks far more like the larval stage than she does the adult male).

I'm afraid I can't help further; I wonder if any of our other (more widely travelled) contributors have an idea?