Hello,

I have  question about this:
The story of Adam and Eve contradicts the scientific consensus that humans evolved from more primitive species of hominids.[41] It is also incompatible with the current understanding of human genetics. In particular, if all humans descended from two individuals several thousand years ago, it would require an impossibly high mutation rate to account for the observed variation.[42] These incompatibilities have caused many Christians to move away from a literal interpretation and belief in the Genesis creation narrative, while others continue to believe in what they see as a fundamental doctrine of the Christian faith.[42].

This is what wikipedia says about Adam and Eve, my question is not a religious one. Is it possible that the humans we evolvedfrom, that they began at the numbe two? Is this possible with the mutation rate. I read that we know that the modern human where never less that 6000, is it possible for us to know this kind of information of the humans we evolved from.

Yes, it is possible. There are well established models for distribution of mutations, which include population size. For example, taking known human genetic diversity (ie what is visible now in human populations) it is possible to turn the clock back and estimate the number of individuals required in an initial population that would result in the current state of affairs. This has to do with the distribution of mutations in the various ethnic groups around the world, specifically mitochondrial DNA. But also a general principle is at work: in order for a population of animals to be considered stable long term, there is a minimum size of that population, the exact value of which varies from animal to animal and with different contexts. If population numbers drift too low, diversity is also depleted and this is Bad News for long term survival. Thus, because we have thus far survived and even even prospered, we can assume that we didn't drop below that critical threshold. A few thousand individuals is the estimate that the methods have come up with, and they are considered reliable, but still estimates with fairly large error bars.

The other point to make is that there isn't a distinct cut off from our primate predecessors to man. In other words there was never a time when suddenly 2 humans existed and then populated all successive generations - it was a slow continuum from our predecessors and at some point we were sufficiently different to be termed a different species - humans. That however is a post-hoc and arbitrary time point. yes there would have been a time when we were no longer able to mate and reproduce with the ancestor species but to make the same point again that was not a single "big bang" event.