Could someone please help me identify this insect! It is found in my home and i am disturbed and desperate to know what it is and how to stop attracting this insect or whatever it might be and interested as ive never seen anything like it before.

this website wont let me upload higher quality imaes but i have uploaded them to a website and will include the links.

I live in the UK. In Glasgow, Scotland. I live in a "close" and i am one floor up. These things are found under my bed next to the skirting board and i have a carpet if that helps. they are also found further away from the skirting board too.

if it helps they seem to....slide..slither im not sure but they dont have legs. when they die they curl up. their body inderneath is lighter than the top. they have no visable pincers or like mouth parts and i have inclded a british 1 pence for size comparason.

Kind regards and many thanks

They appear at all times of the year and some other types of bugs do occur but less often. the main ones aside from these are woodlice that appear...usually is there is crumbs on the carpet underneath my bed i have not spotted.

Hi Rj,

these look like the larvae of a dermestid beetle - probably one of the Carpet Beetles, but the detail isn't easy to see as the photos are a bit on the small side, so I can't be too specific which kind. If they're hairy all over then they're probably Varied Carpet Beetle, if they have a tuft of hairs at one end then they could be Two Spot Carpet Beetles, Black Carpet Beetle or Vodka Beetle - my money would be on the last one since you say they're lighter underneath.

They feed on the keratin that makes up hair and feathers, so if you have a wool carpet I expect they're eating that, but dust from pet and human skin cells and hair that have been shed will do them fine.

The best way to deal with them is to hoover regularly, making a special effort to move furniture that they might be hiding under. You might also want to pop any woolen blankets etc. in the freezer for a full week, take them out for a couple of days, then freeze them again for another week. That kills the small larvae and will cause the eggs to hatch so you kill the new larvae on the second freeze.

If you don't have any pets (especially fish!) you might want to consider a pest spray to use in the places that you find them most, but do be careful when using pesticides as the beetles won't cause you any real harm, but the pesticide might if it's not used properly! Constrain by Historyonics is what we use in museums, but there will be other brands out there for domestic use.