ATPase pumps use ATP as energy to work.
Is this known as phosphorylation of the pump?
Does this mean that kinases move ATP to the pumps which then use this ATP?
Most schemes on the internet depict free ATP which comes into contact with the pumps and not kinase-carried ATP.

(I am not a student, I try to learn biology online. Also sorry for my english, it is not my native language)

An ATPase pump uses the energy from ATP to transport things across membranes. The pump itself doesn't get phosporylated. It dephosphorylates the ATP and uses the energy produced. A kinase is a different enzyme that adds phosphate groups to substrates and doesn't have anything to do with the activity of an ATPase pump.

Last edited by ReetikaSuri (2nd Nov 2015 10:33:21)

If I am reading this right, I don’t quite agree with you Reetika! If we are talking about the sodium-potassium-ATPase pump for example, it does appear to get phosphorylated via PKA sites - see http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/ar … 9310003054

Also see the Wkipedia entry on this ATPase.

Thanks Steve. I hadn't looked at this earlier.

But, phosphorylation of the pumps isn't how the OP describes it. The PKA sites are for pump activity regulation or regulation of distribution of pumps as per the review you mention. Phosphorylation of the pumps isn't part of the process of transporting things using energy (i.e the pump doesn't have to be phosphorylated in order to work or doesn't get phosphorylated while it's using ATP to transport something) and kinases don't bring ATP to the pump for it to carry out transport as the OP is suggesting.

Last edited by ReetikaSuri (4th Nov 2015 08:00:35)