Hi! I have come across some articles recently concerning de-extinction and would just like to ask why do scientists try to de-extinct extinct animals such as the woolly mammoth? I mean what is the point of bringing back extinct species? This is because if woolly mammoth are really de-extinct successfully then what happens? Wouldn't it disrupt the current ecosystem by introducing another prey or predator or will they be just locked up in zoos for exhibition? I am just curious. Thanks in advance!

I don't think many scientists are really trying to do this, but the few that are certainly get a lot of media attention. In one case I know of there was an attempt to "de-extinct" the Pyrrenean ibex using cloning technology. In this case it was an attempt to de-extinct a recently extirpated sub-species for reintroduction. So aside from technical challenge of seeing if it can be done (something many scientists enjoy, just as in any other field) the motivation was to try and repair human damage to the ecosystem (i.e. humans wiped out the ibex, can they fix it).

For mammoths I think the excitement of the technical challenge is the same, but the proposal to reintroduce them to a "pleistocene park" in Siberia was certainly controversial among scientists. The idea of being able to study previously extinct animals is very exciting to zoologists and ecologists, but - even if it could be done - many are worried about disruption to existing ecosystems as you say. So some scientists are in favour and some opposed. Do bear in mind that the rationale for these sort of projects is not just scientific. For instance if someone managed to create a real-life "Jurassic Park" I think they would make a LOT of money!

agree with all you say. I am still very sceptical that successful cloning of extinct animals will be possible, even recent ones like mammoths