I am in love with biological anthropology and becoming a field primatologist appeals to me in a lot of ways. That being said, I would like to enter the field with realistic expectations. What difficult aspects of this field should I prepare myself for and as a primatologist is it possible to exclusively study primates in the wild? For ethical reasons (and I realize ethical dilemmas exist everywhere) I would prefer not to study primates in lab.

its a massively competitive field with only a very small number of opportunities worldwide to study them in the wild. Thus you need to be very realistic as to the difficulties in succeeding in the field you describe.

For now you need to concentrate on getting a very good undergraduate degree In a relevant field and than a Masters and PhD. work eperience will also be very difficult other than in a lab/zoo.