I have done a lot of research of my own on what rabbit breeders call 'Snuffles' and a host of other problems all symptoms of P Multocida. I came accross a few articles about Fowl Cholera and it said the two are the same strain of Pasteurella Multocida.
So my question is: what is the difference between the two or are they 100% the same?

As you’ll know from your reading Kathy there are many different strains of P.multocida, for which there are serological and more recently genetic (e.g., PCR and whole genome expression profiling including DNA sequencing) tests. The severity of effects can depend on the strain, so a virulent strain in one species could have less harmful effects in another, or 2 different strains may not have identical effects in the same species. From a brief read of one of the articles you probably came across (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3122976/) 2 typed (e.g., PCR, DNA sequence analysis) avian F strains were able to infect rabbits in a laboratory environment. In a field setting I think that you would have do typing to be sure of the bacterial strain involved (although environment/proximity factors may be highly suggestive).

Last edited by Steve Lolait (13th Jun 2016 11:14:15)