Since lysosomes in our cells help us get our fingers, do frog cells have them because instead of fingers, their hands are webbed.

Frogs still have fingers, have a look at this skeleton:

http://www.k-state.edu/organismic/images/frog_skeleton.jpg

[edit] - gratuitously stolen from Kansas State University Organismic Biology

Last edited by Peter Falkingham (1st Sep 2008 08:05:14)

To complement the answer given by Peter, I would say there is no direct relationship between lysosomes and finger or limb development in animals or humans. Lysosomes are intra-cellular (present in each one of our cells) vesicles which contain enzymes used to digest or destroy debris engulfed by cells or components of the cell which are not needed anymore. In some cases (in immune cells for examples) lysosomes can have secretory functions, releasing antimicrobial peptides out of the cell.

Limb and digit development is mostly regulated by gene expression, basically coding sequences of DNA, which is activated at a specific time to direct the growth of our limbs and fingers during embryonic development.

I think that the developmental process Cant is getting at is the degredation of tissue between our fingers that happens during development that keeps us from having webbed fingers (like frogs do).  Lysosomes are involved in this process, but they were recruited to do this during evolution - this is not their main function.

Frogs do have lysosomes as well, but they use theirs for the more general functions listed by Mathieu.