Aristotle notoriously said that women had fewer teeth than men, and has been ridiculed for his supposed failure of empiricism (why didn't he look in his wife's mouth?).

In some humans, the "wisdom teeth" (last molars) never erupt (3 out of 4 of my wife's wisdom teeth never appeared-- the other came in crooked and was removed).  Women's facial skeletons are smaller, on average, than men.  So... Is it possible  that wisdom-tooth-non-eruption is more common in women than in men?  Are there published statistics on the proportion of people of either sex who never get third molars?

Great question and a very reasonable hypothesis. That said there isn't a great deal of data to support it.

According to Richardson, third molars are the more commonly missing teeth with a range from 9 to 20% population with one or more third molars missing, and a male to female ratio of 3:2.

Richardson M. Late third molar genesis: Its significance in orthodontic treatment. Angle Orthod 1980;50:121-8

see
http://www.contempclindent.org/article. … vula#ref13

My mother actually has no wisdom teeth. They didn't just not erupt, they simply aren't there. Has baffled quite a few dentists over the years.

It is not as uncommon as you might think!