Hi, I've several Roses in my garden, and the particular one I'm talking about was here when I moved in so I don't know the name of it. It's a shame because each Yr it puts out fabulous large, pink blooms but they seem to be too heavy for the stems to hold up. Is there something I might try  to help this plant? Incedentally, there's another, slightly different Rose right next door and it does fine. I have sent a photo for you to look at. Thanks

Post's pictures

poor rose 01.jpg, 391.42 kb, 2048 x 1536

I am not a garden expert, or have ‘green’ fingers, or know much about roses! I even planted a eucalypt (very hardy) in the garden and it didn't grow. But growing up in Australia a neighbour had very large rose blooms and I can remember them sometimes being ‘droopy’. Some suggestions that come to mind are too little water, a bout of hot weather? There are many types of roses - maybe it has something to do with their age, and if you prune them back more (whenever that is recommended) their stems will thicken and become progressively stronger? Perhaps your local garden centre has the answer?

Last edited by Steve Lolait (18th Jun 2011 09:49:43)

Lets make some obvious points:-

1. It may be droppy but it does not damage or kill the plant - if it did it would not come up year after year

2. there may an advantage to be droopy in terms of fertilisation, access to bees, water handling

I am a great believer in "if it ain't broke..."

On the 'evolution of droopiness' see the following -
http://news.bbc.co.uk/earth/hi/earth_ne … 186098.stm

If you google 'droopy headed roses' Caroline, you will find some suggestions to improve your rose 'aesthetics.'

Last edited by Steve Lolait (18th Jun 2011 13:52:34)

While 'droopiness' may indeed have ecological significance, your huge ornamental rose is the product of a breeding programme to produce huge flowers, so the stem is being pushed to the absolute limits - the flower may be essentially too heavy for the stalk. 

That being said, the most common cause of drooping heads is that the plant has got too dry, so regular watering might help to keep the roots moist, rather than allowing them to dry out and then get soaked again.  I know there is water in the photo, but depending on how much rain you get or how you water, and the soil depth and competition for water from surrounding plants, you can still get suprisingly dry soil very rapidly.