Is the chain of fossil giraffa species known fully? Creationists often ask in discussion: "Show us a chain of fossil species of giraffes showing the continuous elongating of the neck - from short-necked forms to long-necked ones". At this time I prepare an answer to one "new star" of Russian creationism. And I think the article about the elongating necks of fossil giraffids will be a good impact th the creationist claims. I wish to see the chain of species (if it is possible) with notes about the time of their existing, leading from early short-necked ancestor to modern tall and long-necked giraffe. In popular literature I hadn't found an answer to this problem...
(:-()
But I hope... (;-))

There aren't really any groups of animals where we can say we have a 'fully known' chain of ancestors and descendants. But, as in pretty much all groups of animals that have a fossil record, we do see morphological changes in the rich fossil history of giraffes that makes sense in evolutionary terms. The most basal (='primitive') known members of Giraffidae are short-necked: a longer-necked group evolved late in the Miocene (the okapis, which are longer-necked than more basal giraffids, are members of this group), and during the Late Miocene and Pliocene we see the emergence of the really long-necked giraffids, a group that starts with Honanotherium and relatives, and ends with Bohlinia and Giraffa. I'm not saying that you see anything like a perfect transition among these animals (you rarely do in the fossil record), but you do certainly see a pattern that makes sense in view of evolutionary predictions. It's true that this subject is pretty much never covered in the popular literature: I think that's because few writers of non-technical books are familiar with the mammal fossil record.