I read somewhere that an orangutan is stronger than a gorilla. I was shocked, because I always thought gorillas were the biggest and strongest of the great apes. Based on your expertise, do you believe that an orangutan is stronger than a gorilla or vice versa?

Hi Darrick,
You don't make it clear what the measure of strength is here. But I am going to guess that this comparison is either a power/weight one or a comparison of upper body strength. The orangutan moves by climbing and swinging in branches, so has a much more developed upper body. Watch some videos of human rock climbers (make sure it is rock, ice climbers and winter mountaineers tend to be built differently). These people have massive upper body development but often quite normal legs, as their whole effort is in overcoming vertical and overhanging rock. Yet when it comes to carrying the technical gear into a climb site, they often appreciate help from a hillwalker like myself, who has powerful legs and can carry a heavy load but fails on the vertical slabs.

Best,
Al

"Hope is a duty from which palaeontologists are exempt."
David Quammen

reading between the lines Al, are you likening youself to a gorilla here?

You know what I look like. I shall leave it to you to decide:)

David Quammen