Where does "Instinct" end and "Intelligence" begin as we always seem to ascribe intelligence to humans but not to any other animals?

Hmm...I don't think biologists limit intelligence to humans. Some corvids or crows exert extreme intelligence, such as using and even shaping tools. Some parrots also show high intelligence. And of course, gorillas and chimps are regarded as intelligent animals.

I don't have an answer to your question though unfortunately.

I don't think there is a known answer to this question. Many scientists have their own opinions about which animals are intelligent and which are not, but generally i think it is fair to say that it is an area full of extreme subjectivity.

Until of course we (presumably) one day find a way to measure intelligence in non-verbally communicative animals. But the 'code' required would be different for every animal group and is way way way beyond us at the moment i would say. Also, being able to define 'intelligence' itself into a quantitative element is a difficult enough task on its own!

Last edited by Emma-Louise Nicholls (9th Nov 2007 13:36:05)