Having recieved conditional offers from both Bristol University and Imperial College London, i'm experiencing difficulting choosing which one should be my firm choice!
They are offering the same grades, and although Imperial seems to be academically superior, would having a degree from there put me at a great advantage when looking for PhD's etc over Bristol? In terms of the city, Bristol is my preferance.
Does Bristol university have good facilities etc, and would it still be a respected choice if i were looking to postgraduate at Oxbridge?
I can't decide if it would be foolish to turn down a conditional from London Imperial just because i don't want to live in London.
Thank you

There is no right answer - they are both very good Russell group universities and a good 2:1 or 1st from either university should get you into a PhD programme at any top university. It largely depends on your personal preference. As a clinical academic working at Bristol University in the adjacent school to Biochemistry, and who previously worked at Imperial I can truthfully say they both have advantages and disadvantages. A question you might want to ask is will you enjoy your 3 years undergrad and have more fun at Bristol or West London.

Which ever University you choose well done for getting the offers, enjoy your course and I hope a career in academia.

Totally agree with David; both are going to stand you in good stead for a postgrad.

As an IC (postgrad) alumnus, I'd wholeheartedly recommend time there, with all the facilties IC has to offer, plus all the wider attractions London has too, in terms of extracuricular lectures and general 'culture'.

I say this as a Yorkshire born lad who absolutely hated the concept of moving to 'the South' but to be honest, once there, it was a fantastic time and I met some great people [oh, and I still live in London over a decade later, so it may not be all bad!].

Go where you feel that you will be challenged (maybe the challenge will be by the 'conditions', not the course), perhaps not where you feel 'safest'; controlled strife is often the best way to achieve, in my opinion.

***Caveat*** No responsibility can be claimed for destroyed livelihoods based on advice on this website! ;>)

All the best, wherever you decide is best for you.

Whil I agree with the general sentiments here, I'd disagree with David's comment of "should easily get you into a PhD programme at any top university". IT will help certainly, but competition for PhD's are brutal and it's not uncommon for even people with a 1st and an MSc to struggle to find a programme, so I wouldn't say it would 'easily' get you into one.

Generally speaking yes agree with you Dave, but for Biochem it is a very discrete subject area and Imperial and Bristol are really top departments in the country, I think on balance what i said is largely correct though have toned it down a bit by removing the word "easily" from "get you into a PhD programme".

Agree with above, especially the comments about competition. Students from Bristol are applying for PhD's across the UK (and abroad) and visa versa. Quite a few Bristol students have gone into Oxbridge PhDs, whether after an undergraduate or post-graduate Masters degree. Some students look for a fairly well-defined research area that they are particularly interested in, but most are casting their 'nets' widely with multiple applications in the hope of entering a programme in an area of general interest (e.g., neuroscience).

For what it's worth when recuiting PhD students I don't think people will favour a degree form Bristol over one from Imperial or vice versa. Thay are both very goo duniversities. Go with your gut instinct about where you'll be happiest, then work hard and get a good degree!

Great universities! Congratulations. You'll have a great time, and learn loads, at either. Just make sure you get your grades!

Getting into a good PhD programme is not just about which university you went to but it is also down to looking for a good supervisor that will challenge you and give you the right balance of guidance during the 3/4 years. It's also about the project,  they need to see the passion and motivation there.

Personally I was in a very similar situation when applying for undergraduate degrees, and I actually turned down the Imperial offer in favour of a campus university in a smaller town, nearer my hometown. At that point in my life, I didn't want to move to London, and didn't feel that the city or the university would suit me well.

Whether that was the 'right' decision or not, I can't say for sure, of course! However it doesn't seem to have restricted my career choices: I was able to get a good graduate job in the City, followed by a funded PhD studentship at Imperial (so yes I ended up here after all!)

Also, I have known people who took the 'better' i.e. higher ranked offer against their personal preferences (Imperial and Cambridge respectively) because they felt they 'had' to - and ended up quite unhappy and not doing as well academically as they should have done, because it was not a good fit for them.

As others have said, both Bristol and Imperial are very well-respected universities, and a good degree from either of them should give you a great starting point for further study and your career.