Do other mammals have similar amounts of nose hairs to  humans?  I feel like I've seen nary a nose hair in another animal's nose by picture, pet, zoo. 

Possible interpretations that I'd like for you to weigh in on:

-We have the same amount it's just that humans have them closer to the exit of the nose.  Possibly because we have dextrous fingers? :)

-We have more because we lack turbinates. And why is that?  Our ancestral need to distance walk/run?  What does that say about our evolutionary climate? 

-Does it say anything about the specific evolutionary environment from which we come?  High dust desert?  High bug zone?

-Is it because we have a dry nose and less need to track by nose?

What other possibility I haven't thought about?

Other animals have nose hairs, we are not special in that regard. The amount varies, but I couldn't say anything about how much exactly.

We don't lack turbinates. We have three sets, an inferior, middle, and superior. They are not as well developed as in some others, like say dogs and seals, but we have them and they are very important in helpig us to limit water loss through our nasal passages and to a small degree in helping to cool the brain (ok, only by about half to one degree, but still).

Most people think we evolved in a more open, drier climate, which was probably dusty, so it is possible we were selected for bushier noses than our more forest-bred ape relatives, but I don't know of any real studies on that.