Hi people, It 's the first time I write here ! I am not a biologist.. I am an engineer that tries to understand social behaviors of animals generally. I am pretty sure thousands of years of evolution there are good solutions from nature ! :)

Particularly, I am looking for an efficient method for exploring an environment, like animals do for foraging or nesting.

It seems that so far I have found random flights ( in birds like seagulls) or sharks, or bees. But I don't find it really efficient for what I want to do, because I am looking for applying in search and rescue missions, so that means it whould be efficient and quick. Also, I have some idea about ants that preserve pheromone paths but I fear that the "chain" slowly expands in the environment.

Is there any good idea from the experts? I would really appreciate it if you suggest some particular animal that navigates quickly in the environment, perhaps they have some pattern ! It is important for me that the animals are based on communication. Thank you for your time to read my message !

i don't think that you will find what you are looking for if it is an efficient search pattern - most organisms will selectively search the bits of their environment which are most likely to hold that which they are looking for.  If you want animals that collaborate and communicate what they have found, you are looking for pack animals like wolves which use chemical cues, or social animals like bees or ants, which you have already dismissed.  Animals like sharks and mosquitoes use chemical clues rather than random searches.  Birds like kites and vultures will 'patrol' particular areas while watching their nearest neighbour - when one descends to a prey animal others will follow, but they aren't really communicating, just following each others actions, though I suppose you could use drones or UAVs in swarms to do similar things?

I'm not 100% certain but I think sea cucumbers (not the sexiest animals I know) do utilise an 'efficient' feeding pattern when they come across a patch of sediment that is rich in organic material (i.e. nutritious). As I understand it they move up and down the patch, much like ploughing a field.