How fast are millipedes?
I ask, because the other night as I went into the garden to turn off the pump on the pond, my flashlight caught something on the path. As soon as the light hit it, it flew off at quite a freaky speed, and dissapeared down a hole in between some paving slabs. Now, all I've read on millipedes suggests that they are rather slow, this was anything but! It took me by supprise at how fast it was, which is why it's perked my interest. It's appearance was that of a black millipede, simular to the White Legged Snake Millipede, but as I only saw it for the flash of a second, I can't be sure on that. It was black, or possibly a dark silvery grey colour, it looked shiney like it was either moist, or had an insect armour which reflected the light. It was about 5 or 6 inches long, about the width of a biro pen. (and it was fast, did I mention it was fast?) It moved about 2 feet in a second or so.

I've been searching online and I can't really find an answer, so I thought I'd ask some people who might actually already know what it was I saw. Unfortunatly it was way too quick to get a picture.

Can millipedes putthose legs to good use when they feel threatened?

Answers on a poscard to.....

In short, it wasn't a millipede! Millipedes are not quick critters. You almost certainly saw a centipede (perhaps one of the larger stone centipedes Lithobia)...