What is the function of fish scales? The question was not answered before, and I found it strange that such a simple question was not answered, and I discovered than whenever a question is deamed unanswerable, discussion is blocked. In what scales are useful to fish, and if they are under the skin, how do they protect the animal?

It appears that you have some pent-up emotions here! Fish scales have a number of uses, including protection (which may include some scale shedding) from injuries, parasites and predators. Some (perhaps most?) scales have a hydrodynamic function in drag reduction to reduce water resistance, something that swimwear manufacturers have tried to mimic in the past, especially for elite swimmers. Sorry, I am not familiar with fish that may have scales under the skin...but that doesn't necessarily end, or preclude any discussion by others on this site!