I'm an oversea Biochemistry student studying at a Uni in the UK. However, I didn't do a year in Industry, so just a traditional 3 year course. I've got several lab experiences including some volunteering, summer placement and final year project. I really really want to get a PhD like the Wellcome Trust or something like that, but the only thing that put me off is that I'm afraid I'vent got enough experience like people do year in industry or Master. I'm really trying to achieve a first in my degree, but still, I don't think its enough to impress the judge.

Do you think its possible to get a PhD without year in industry? People who did this must be really good, and I'm worry that Im not good enough. It would be great if someone can give me some advice.

Thank you

Have you actually applied and been rejected? If so ask for feedback. With a good degree and lab experience you should be competitive but funding for a non-EU student is difficult to come by. The only advice I have to be honest is to keep at it.

Re post-graduate funding for non-EU students, yes it is extremely competitive but many universities post links to various international funding bodies, often nationality- specific. e.g., for Oxford - http://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/graduate … holarships

Just to add, you should be able to find PhD opportunities and/or projects quite easily at most UK universities, e.g. at Bristol you could start at - http://www.bristol.ac.uk/study/postgraduate/. You may have to search individual Faculties/Schools to find what they offer re. postgraduate study and what PhD studentships may be available, or perhaps you might be interested in a particularly field and you can search that as well. Many applicants have not done a year in industry. A first at under-graduate level is obviously desirable to make you more competitive, but if that doesn't happen it is not the end of the world (you might have to take and do well in a Masters degree which can have a research component). Please post again if you have any other questions.