I was able to find out who it belonged to because he had a band on. The person did not want him back because he had not gone back to his home. The bird made himself at home and I started putting out food for him thinking he would not stay long. After a couple of months, I purchased a very nice chicken coup for him (I am not sure if it is male or female). He was free to come and go and he would fly off for an hour or so and come back. At first he didn't make any kind of noise. I asked the man who he had belonged to about that and he told me about a noise he would make if he wanted to mate. After about 6 months, he started making that noise. Far the last few days, he has flown off and has stayed gone for a couple of days. Now he has been gone for several days. I am sad that he may be gone for good. Is it possible that he may be mating and that I will never see him again. I live in the country and there are not any pigeons around. He seemed very happy while he was here.

difficult to say for sure. certainly some pigeons do return to nest in the same place. I am afraid you will just have to wait till next year to find out!